Table of Contents [Show]
So, what the heck is a .me.tz domain? Fun fact: any domain name that has 2 characters after the final dot is called a ccTLD, or Country Code Top-Level Domain. The "Top-Level Domain" part is the highest level of organization of the internet, the same as .com or .org. This helps computers find each other when they perform a lookup using the domain name service (DNS). The Country Code part means that rather than representing a specific category of website like .org or a specific industry like the pleathera of new designations like .accountant, and .zookeeper (I don't think that one actually exists, but at the rate ICANN is approving new TLDs, it will soon), it instead represents a country. My fellow canucks are very familiar with this concept given the .ca top-level domain, and Americans are probably much less familiar with .us. Despite what some might like to think, .com does not mean it is the american equivalent to the .ca, it is just the generic; all country-code TLDs are 2 characters and all 2 character TLDs are country-codes. The .us domain is just highly abused by spammers and malware sites, so no one really uses it on the web.
For my fellow nerds, talking back-end infrastructure is always fun. The current answer to that is:
- OS - Debian Bullseye (11)
- Hosting - OVH VPS, 2 vCore, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD
- Server - Nginx with HTTP2
- Nameservers - Mine, Bind9 on this machine and my mail server
- Language - Primarily PHP
- Frameworks/CMS - Custom
- SSL - Let's Encrypt
- VCS - Git
The website has gone through several iterations and so too has the hardware and software. Some changes have been practical. For instance the site started out running in a Linux Container (lxc) on Debian Wheezy (7) on my desktop computer attached to a static IP on my home internet connection. That machine was a heck of a lot more powerful than the VPS, but it lived and died at the whims of TekSavvy's DSL line and the Ottawa power grid. Other changes were not necessary but I made them just out of curiousity. It started out as a very vanilla Apache installation, but I administer Apache servers at work and thought I'd expand my skillset. Similarly, I used to just use the DNS services provided by my registrar but having never run my own name servers, I thought I'd learn that as well (this one also saved me a few dollars a year, but that wasn't the point). Early on I added HTTPS support. Despite the fact that there's no real privacy need for it, Let's Encrypt just makes that process so easy that it would seem silly not to set it up.
I'm pretty happy with where things are at right now. I will continue to update the software that is currently in use, but I doubt it will change significantly aside from adding features to my PHP code. I may upgrade to a more powerful VPS if that becomes necessary, but this would be more likely to happen if I add on additional services like GitLab or NextCloud. Web traffic is unlikely to take me down any time soon. UPDATE: It did happen, at the time of writing, the VPS had 1 core and 2GB of RAM. I did end up installing a Git server, moved my email filter to a VM on this same machine and run a bunch of other containers and applications here now.
The following discusses the basic mechanics of how pages on the site are generated. There are only a few basic classes of pages and then a few special cases that are still relatively static.
There are a few visible page elements that are used on most or all pages, however there are also several that work in the background that are quite important. The obvious visible examples are "header.php" which loads the top banner. There is then also the social media column on the left, creatively loaded by "left.php". Then there is the Social/Contact boxes loaded with "contact.php" which don't exist on all pages but which are pretty widespread. Many other visible elements like the banner on the homepage are written to be as modular as possible, but have not yet found uses elsewhere.
The only visible thing that is particularly notable about the header is the Easter Egg explaining the site name, as discussed earlier. That said, it does serve a few other purposes. Notably, it loads the "lightbox" functions which display and hide the large images. It also uses those functions for an optional "Under Construction" shade which it defines but hides by default. Finally, it also loads in some CSS.
Both the left panel and the "Social" section of the Contact block fetch their links from a specific file. This file lists my social media details as an associative array including the name of the social media site, the location of the image used and the external link to my profile on that site. Each of the two blocks then loads it in using it's own rules. The site is mostly mobile-friendly in that the content re-flows and generally fits nicely onto a small display, however it is not actually responsive to the actual page width given that PHP does not get that information. As a result the "Social" section only display 3 images with the rest hidden under the fold because this seems to be the most that will fit on really small displays before line-wrapping. One of the images used, I cannot recall which, was pulled from a creative commons site and altered slightly and I made the rest to replicate that style with Inkscape.